Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

New Spring Headband!

Hi everyone! Happy Thursday!
Today's Tip is from my BF. (he is a smart guy)
You know those extra buttons and thread that come with nice clothes? Well rather than keeping it in a sewing kit to be used for another project or lost or forgotten, 

Use a safety pin and pin those extra buttons etc. into the garment bag you store them in!

I know this doesn't work for everything, but those nice things that get kept in a garment bag in the first place are the ones you want to look the sharpest anyway so those buttons are the most precious. I also thought you could even pin the button onto a hanger that is assigned to that garment. 

I didn't make a template this week but I am leading you to a very cool set of weekly meal planners. I plan out my week of food every Saturday or Sunday based on when I can cook and what I have to cook and then grocery shop accordingly. I find this saves me a lot of time and money, since I know when I am going to eat that head of lettuce and am not tempted to buy extra things at the store that are not on the list.

Free Printable Weekly Menu Planners
Click to access these awesome templates





I had a bunch of scraps leftover from my rag rug I made for my room a few weeks ago. I was thinking of a creative spring way to use my scraps.
Mostly t shirt sleeves

I don't have my sewing machine in NY, so all of my sewing is by hand. It is an added challenge but I think it will make me more creative.

First I found a sleeve that fit over my head, and was a color that I wanted to be my base color. I cut about a two inch strip to be the "head band" and since I was going for a rough look, so I didn't finish the edgeand the jersey curls nicely anyway.
Extra Large sleeve cut.
 Next I cut petal shapes out of two other blue color and two leaf shapes out of my green color scraps. I just eyeballed them all and was happy with the varied shapes and sizes.
Petals and leaves
 Next I set out the petals on the headband how I wanted them and pinned them down.
Arranged petals

pinned.
 I sewed the petals by hand onto the band and sewed a button in the middle. I placed the leaves where I wanted them and back stitched them down in a darker thread for contrast
All finished

Ta-Da!

I am really pleased with how it turned out and as an added bonus it's super comfortable!

Until Monday (the day I start a big new job!)




No comments:

Post a Comment