Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Shakespeare Monday

I am working today for the seventh day straight, but I am going to post anyway! 


Since I am at work, I have Shakespeare on the brain and decided to share some of my favorite quotes from As You Like It. 


More info here
“Do you not know I am a woman? When I think, I must speak." (Rosalind)


“Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives. I will be more jealous of thee than a cock-pigeon over his hen, more clamorous than a parrot against rain, more new-fangled than an ape, more giddy in my desires than a monkey. I will weep for nothing, and I will do that when you are disposed to be merry. I will laugh like a hyena, and that when thou art inclined to sleep.” (Rosalind)


“O, that woman that cannot make her fault her husband's occasion, let her never nurse her child herself, for she will breed it like a fool.” (Rosalind)


"Good shepherd, tell this youth what 'tis to love."
"It is to be all made of sighs and tears,
It is to be all made of faith and service,
It is to be all made of fantasy,
All made of passion, and all made of wishes,
All adoration, duty and observance,

All humbleness, all patience and impatience,
All purity, all trial, all obedience.” (Phoebe and Silvius)

And of course the ever famous
“Thou seest we are not all alone unhappy.
  This wide and universal theatre
  Presents more woeful pageants than the scene
  Wherein we play in."

                                       "All the world's a stage,
   And all the men and women merely players.
   They have their exits and their entrances,
   And one man in his time plays many parts,
   His acts being seven ages.”  (Duke Senior and Jaques)



No comments:

Post a Comment